Assignment rules in Salesforce are basically used to automatically assign Case or Lead to the owner (Queue or User). This assignment rule is used to automate owner assignments on Lead and Case based on conditions on Case and Lead.
Types of Assignment Rule
There are two types of assignment rules.
- Lead Assignment Rules
- Case Assignment Rules
Lead Assignment Rule:
The Lead Assignment rule describes how leads are assigned to queues or users as they are created manually, imported via the Data Import Wizard, or captured from the web.
Case Assignment Rule:
In Case Assignment rule, it specifies how cases are assigned to users or queues as they are created manually, using On-Demand Email-to-Case, Email-to-Case, Web-to-Case, the Customer Portal and Outlook.
Create or Set-up assignment rules
- From Setup, enter Assignment Rules in the Quick Find box, then select any one assignment rule either Lead Assignment Rule or Case Assignment Rule.
- Click New, and then give the rule a name. If you want to make it active then check the active box then click Save.
- To create the rule entries, click New. For each entry, you can specify:
- Order: Set the order in which the entry will be processed in the rule, for example, 1, 2, 3. It matches the criteria of the entry according to the order. When a match is found, it processes the item.
- Criteria: Here, write the condition so that when it meets with criteria it automatically assigns to queues or users on Lead/Case. Enter the rule criteria.
- User: Choose here either users or queues to assign on Lead/Case.
- Do Not Reassign Owner: It defines that the current owner on a case or lead will not be reassigned to the case or lead when it is updated.
- Email Template: You can choose a template to use for the email that is automatically sent to the new owner of Lead/Case. No email will be sent if no template is specified. While assigning a lead or case to a queue, the notification goes to the Queue Email specified for the queue and all queue members.
- Predefined Case Teams: It describes the predefined case team to add to a case when it matches the condition.
- Replace any existing predefined case teams on the case: It describes that any existing predefined case teams on the case are replaced with the predefined case teams on the condition when a case matches the condition.
After this setup, click Save, or Save & New to save the entry and create more entries.
Assignment Rule Example:
Following is the Lead Assignment rule which assigns Lead to queues based on City, Company, and Industry.
Like this, you can create more rules for assigning a different Queue/User for different criteria.
Atul Gupta is CloudVandana’s founder, an 8X Salesforce Certified, working with globally situated businesses in creating Custom Salesforce Solutions.
A strong, dynamic, and accomplished leader, as Director at Atul Gupta, guides all the aspects of CloudVandana Salesforce Implementation Team, Analytics, and Information Technology functions.