Salesforce DMP or Salesforce market studio is a customer data marketplace platform that only other platform users can access. Salesforce DMP can also be paired with Data Studio, which gives the audience the chance to sell data and purchase look-alike audiences. Salesforce DMP helps companies provide their customers with more valuable advertising and media experience. This cloud-based platform unifies customer data from all screens and sources into a single view of the individual. This allows the users to analyze the customer preferences, and then activate the data across any delivery channel.
Salesforce DMP Limitations
It was quite expected that Salesforce will shut off their DMP as some critical limitations were there in the functionality. The offerings of the DMP category seemed to be similar to CDP (Salesforce’s customer data platform).
- Salesforce offered to create a 360-degree view of customers, find connections and insights, build segments, and optimize to the customers. But the DMP customer 360 could not fulfill the promises.
- DMPs collect a large amount of customer data through cookies, so this is both ethically questionable and not reliable from the customer end with the impending deprecation of third-party cookies.
- DMPs can incorporate first-party data but there is always a lag between customer interaction and media reaction.
- The customer 360, that DMPs offer always focuses on the digital world. Brands who want to experience both online and in-person, find that the DMP 360 can’t interoperate.
- There is a record of huge data loss in the DMP customer 360 supply chain. Brands often find that with a DMP, they only can reach 30-50% of the potential customers.
Benefits Of DMPs
There are definitely many benefits of using a DMP to empower a programmatic media strategy. Even if any brand’s overall media spending is 20-30%, there may still be ROI derived from the audience management, frequency management, and suppression strategies.
There are interesting use cases around third-party and second-party data enrichment to create audiences that complement first-party data sets. But there are huge usage restrictions that prevent mixed data.
Use Of DMP Comes To An End
From an advisor’s point of view, the DMP only serves media optimization, and that is based on third-party cookies, which is becoming obsolete. DMP products need to evolve into the new post-cookies world. But it will require a fundamental overhaul of the way DMP technology works.
CDP For A Successful Transition
The right CDP (Salesforce’s customer data platform ), can solve many problems that DMP is unable to perform. CDP enables marketers to capture, unify, segment, and activate all the customer data. It gives marketers a single source of truth so that they can provide a personalized experience to their customers. CDP helps brands to engage with their customers in real-time across a true omnichannel ecosystem. It works in-store, at check-in, in a loyalty program, on a website, etc. Unlike DMP, it works both online and offline together for a seamless experience. In this system, brands, and consumers can control how the data should be used. So it is more future-proof, without relying on third-party cookies.
Insights and analytics in a CDP are more precise than DMP. Workflow is designed for customer exploration, dashboarding, and predictive analysis, up to the largest data sets and down to individuals. Using one platform for customer data management means numbers align across teams, plans, and reports. In the final word, CDP powers measurement based around the customer, focusing on behavior and outcomes, so that brands can have a clear view of power adaptation and innovation.