Chatter is a Salesforce real-time collaboration application that lets your users work together, talk to each other, and share information. Chatter connects, engages, and motivates users to work efficiently across the organization, regardless of role or location. Chatter lets users collaborate on sales opportunities, service cases, campaigns, and projects with embedded apps and custom actions.
One of the most useful communication tools in Chatter is the following. You can follow people, groups, topics, files, and records, like opportunities and accounts. When you follow people, you see their posts, comments, and likes in your What I Follow feed.
If your organization doesn’t use Chatter, some features of the Lightning Experience interface aren’t available. Learn how Lightning Experience changes, and see if you’re losing functionality that you’d rather not live without.
If you turn off Chatter for your entire organization or you use permission sets to turn off Chatter for a subset of users:
- Feeds, topics, groups, and recommendations aren’t available.
- User profiles are still available, but feeds and groups aren’t available on profiles.
- The Chatter tab isn’t available on records.
- Users can’t follow records or other users.
- If you turn off Chatter in Salesforce Classic, global search is also turned off. If you turn off Chatter in Lightning Experience, the global search stays on.
In Lightning Experience, most objects don’t show a Chatter tab unless Feed Tracking is enabled for the object. Exceptions are Group, Site, and User objects, which show a Chatter tab regardless of whether Feed Tracking is enabled for them.
Atul Gupta is CloudVandana’s founder, an 8X Salesforce Certified, working with globally situated businesses in creating Custom Salesforce Solutions.
A strong, dynamic, and accomplished leader, as Director at Atul Gupta, guides all the aspects of CloudVandana Salesforce Implementation Team, Analytics, and Information Technology functions.